Publishing Goblin's Oracle Dice, 2nd Edition

Publishing Goblin's Oracle Dice, 2nd Edition

116 comments
user avatar image for Chloe
2 months ago

I must admit I would love the Happy Squirrel! 😂 But a “Child of the Cosmos” die with a freaky combo of beings could be interesting too! As for being based on the Fate die, I’d like to see a move away from what Seven said made it gimmicky, and to offer a real shift in perspective for the querent. Here are some face ideas: Community - The closest die or area of the mat the chaos die lands on is a call for ways you can look to support others. Inspired by the community fund. Dumpster fire - The closest die or area of the mat the chaos die lands on is going to be an absolute clusterfuck. Destroy it, avoid it, anything. Many eyes - look at the reading in a new way. Bring in cards, bibliomancy, a pendulum, or phone a friend to ask what they think Duality - flip a coin. Yes the reading stays the same. No you must reroll the whole reading, or read all the dice with reversals Broken clock - the timing of the nearest die or area on the mat where the chaos die lands on will be distorted somehow. Either it’ll happen when you least expect it, or it will recur until you find a way to break free from it. Abandoned House - I would see this as a thing among reflections type of meaning. The nearest die or area of the mat the Chaos die lands on is now haunted. Someone/something else’s energy is affecting that area of your life, and you need to look within yourself to discover what it is.

user avatar image for Puckett
2 months ago

I love the Groundhog Day idea. Most things recur until you learn enough to move beyond them.

user avatar image for Chloe
2 months ago

Alternatively, if the chaos die stays on par with simply manipulating the dice closest to it by adding/ removing/ rotation etc, there are a few ways that could be updated. Some of my favourite cards in the Alleyman’s tarot are: The Joker - The cards around the chaos joker are now affected by this wild card. Easy to see a mechanism like this in play for the dice. Giuseppe - draw three cards that make you happy. Perhaps we could roll 3 new dice or draw three cards from a deck? The Night Owl - draw one to two cards as messages from the night owl. Again could work well for oracle dice or do it with the cards. The Final Card - while this works fantastically in a huge deck like the Alleyman’s, I would worry that if the entire reading was cancelled by one side of the Chaos die it would end up happening way too often. Perhaps remove the die closest?

user avatar image for Simon The Vampyre
2 months ago

Q1: For the Lord of the Chaos Die, I've considered 'The Chaotician', a scholar of chaos theory who had a revelation, and is now as one with Chaos itself. They appear as an academic, forever changed by the wild and unpredictable force they're united with. Q2: Two possible die faces I've considered are "Entropy" – the driving force of Chaos – as one that might make you reroll dice, and the "Butterfly" – representing the Butterfly Effect, and strange attractors – as one that might make you move several dice around that are furthest away from it in some circumstances.

user avatar image for Barb
2 months ago

I love the butterfly idea!!

user avatar image for Kim W
2 months ago

I really like these ideas. My other suggestion was a cat or feline figure for the lord, but I was just mulling the idea of chaos over and I think a maths focussed idea, including involvement of butterflies, would be wonderful too. You've already come up with a more defined and we'll articulated description and it sounds great to me.

user avatar image for Kay
Kay
2 months ago

Happy Squirrel feels a little twee in this context, doesn't really fit the feel to me.

user avatar image for Kalira
2 months ago

The Weaver of the Spaces Between (or The Thing from/Lord of the Spaces Between) is my suggestion for a title, for a chaos die! The spaces between worlds, the spaces between choices, upsetting things and throwing them awry (or pulling them into balance - but how can you tell, when you're one of the things in the worlds being moved about?). I like the idea of a chaotic entity for it, perhaps even one whose being is made up of many stolen/borrowed/mirrored parts of different things - some recognisable and some not, perhaps. . . - and perhaps they change out, taking on new aspects of their being and releasing old ones as they move through time (and those spaces between. . .). Perhaps all faintly galaxy-themed/patterned (and maybe one feline/slit-pupilled eye peeking out from the swirl of stars and random, eldritch Parts of them. . .) As far as die faces, some idle thoughts: ~choose one die to reroll (our choices do shape the chaos of our lives) ~close your eyes/look away and reach out; reroll whatever die your fingers land on (sometimes our choices are made without knowledge of what we're changing) ~all the dice shift one zone/space in the same direction, around in a cosmic wheel (like the galaxy turning) ~change each die as you come to it in the reading, either tipping it over one face or rerolling it, in an escalating shift (one change makes more changes and we don't always see them coming) ~read the bottom faces of the dice/the ones they're sitting on, rather than the top ~roll the chaos die again, right through the middle of the reading like a game of marbles, and see what changes are wrought ~stop the reading here, things beyond are too in flux to know

user avatar image for WynnDark
2 months ago

This, a being that exists in the liminal places between, an enforcer of the boundaries that also opens up doors for possibilities (chaos is both and neither, being change after all). I don't have any ideas for the die faces, but I've had this very Baba Yaga idea running around in my head, but as a grandmother toad type figure...it may not even get into the mix of ideas given my skullsquid isn't feeling very descriptive or explanatory this morning but I had to throw something out there.

user avatar image for Sea
Sea
2 months ago

The Lord of the Chaos Die could be a personified version of the dice themselves. It could either be a bag or box with limbs or all the dice could come together to create the form of a body (I like the latter). Name options: They Who Roll, The Roller of Dice, Themprex of the Unexpected, Majesty of Mayhem, The Cubed Maelstrom (or maelstrom as a different concept), Sovereign of Sides, Clitter-Clatter... A dice face idea could be around wrong timing. The symbol could be a broken clock or something. It indicates that now is NOT the time to do this reading. Maybe the reader isn't in the right state of mind or the querent can't handle the truth at this time. Perhaps the astrology is a bit whack and you can diagnose when a better time would be. It could mean a five minute break to center oneself or it could mean to wait until the planet ruling over the question is out of retrograde. Another one could be that the reading is "mirrored." It's showing the similarities between two different things. It could be that the future is a reflection of a past, as shown by the dice. It could be that in the dispute you are reading about, you and the other party are really coming from a similar space, as indicated by the dice. The point is that the concept of reflection and symmetry needs to be considered. A fun one could be a witch-themed one. You are casting a spell to create a change in the world. Do the reading as normal and when you identify a stuck point/problem/whatever, take that die and shake it up in a pointy hat, mini-cauldron, crystal pouch, chalice or just the most magical object you have that suits the purpose. Do this with the intention of creating a favorable change. Then roll it by pouring it out from its receptacle. That factor has now changed. Even if you get the same face, it will likely be on a different spot on the board.

user avatar image for Anonymous Seagull #708414
2 months ago

Please forgive my physics nerdness but one of the sides of the die would be really cool if it was delta S (so a triangle and then a capital S) to indicate a change in the entropy in a system, so it would represent a change in the disorder in a system. In a reading, I'd take that as, like, things are about to get way more chaotic or reversed things are going to settle down. Entropy is just a really cool idea in general because it's a way of mathematically proving that the situation is 'heating up' as it were. Lord of Chaos I would have to say would be good if there's some aspect that reflects animals that are seen as extremely adaptable, for instance the norwegian brown rat, the pigeon, raccoons, etc because they have the capacity to thrive within chaos and use it to their advantage to carve out their own little niche in a rapidly changing world and environment.

user avatar image for Anonymous Chicken #1932888
2 months ago

A cockroach maybe? Adaptable in chaos, they are 🪳 I love your suggestion regarding Entropy!

user avatar image for Anonymous Seagull #708414
2 months ago

Oh gosh I discussed this with my partner and she agreed saying, "yeah like [the rat people from That IP No One Speaks Of Unless They Want a Copyright Entity To Awaken forty thousand]" so um yeah sorry for accidentally bringing in a few chaos god ideas.

user avatar image for Vic
Vic
2 months ago

I think the closest to literal chaos most people have in their lives is the junk drawer in the kitchen. The Lord of the die would be "The Lord of The Draw" that abides with the chaos sorting and empowering it for when we may eventually need the stuff we have no other place for. Sometimes the draw opens easily sometimes it doesn't sometimes you have to pull the entire thing out to find what you are looking for I was thinking along the lines of 1) face would be the pack of batteries which would super charge the closest die face to them or drain energy depending on if inversion is used. 2) the roll of tape which could be used to seal (reinforce) or heal (remove) the closest die depending on inversion or not as tape can be used secure items to stop them moving or invisibly fix tears to stop them spreading futher 3) takeaway menus this one is about choices we have about where we go to change our fate options to move to a happier outcome however inverted could be indecision caused by to many choices may cause you to stay on your path and not make the change. 4) old keys this one is about letting go of the past why hold onto that which no longer opens doors for you object attachment, sentimentality that holds you in its grip, inverse could be old relationships could bring new opportunities. 5) the Bobby pin regardless of your household demographic, make up or orientation every house will have at least one Bobby pin or kirby grip they just do its a universal truth it does not matter if you have seen it or not it is there. and that is chaos at it essence if this face shows up it flips the meaning of every die on the cloth this is a powerful face. 6) the blank face the unknowable answer this is the equivalent of the wyrd rune or the all our call operators are busy please try again later message on the telephone. If this face is cast encourage the person being read to ground, breathe and try again later

user avatar image for Puckett
2 months ago

It could just be The Drawer, with an open drawer in a dresser or cabinet of some sort.

user avatar image for Silverlotus
2 months ago

I'd love to see a face on the Chaos die that essentially tells you to pack it all up and figure things out yourself this time. As for the Lord of this die, I like the idea of it being the Universe. It's a pretty chaotic place.

user avatar image for Anonymous Cockatiel #1710650
2 months ago

Question 1: Who is the Lord of the Chaos Die? The Lord of Chaos is "The Maelstrom" represented by a figure that appears to be unable to maintain a solid form, constantly agitating between a storm, elements of the universe/space, butterflies, decaying/collapsing structures to represent entropy, and a jarring cacophony of sound. There should be -no- harmony in the image. Question 2: What are the die faces of the Chaos Die? FACE 1 - BLANK (Replace the nearest die with the blank, this condition cannot be foreseen) FACE 2 - WATER DROPLET INTO A POND/RIPPLE (Reroll any die at the perimeter of the spread where the ripples have the largest effect) FACE 3 - PENDULUM ATTACHED TO A SECOND PENDULUM (aka DOUBLE COMPOUND PENDULUM) (Reroll the 2 closest die to the core die, let them land where they will) FACE 4 - FRACTAL IMAGE (SNOWFLAKE) Read the spread, then reroll and read again. Both paths are equally possible FACE 5 - LIGHTNING BOLT Reroll die in any season furthest from your current season, the weather is increasingly unpredictable the further away in time it is from now FACE 6 - GALAXY (OR SOMETHING ELSE REPRESENTING THE UNIVERSE) (There is a theory that the universe may have ALWAYS been chaotic. The current universe, expands in all directions. The early universe is theorized to have expanded only in third dimensions and contracted in the third. This is considered to be "red shift" in two directions, and "blue shift" in one, but the contracting direction was not always the same, alternating erratically.) Remove a RED or BLUE die from the spread, whichever is closest to you, and replace with the Chaos die.

user avatar image for Morgan D
2 months ago

The Nebula Seer: a cloak of starstuff and comets for eyes, skin the color of the void, a crystal ball with a galaxy inside in one hand and a pair of dice in the other The Event Horizon: Every die face read up until you get to this face is now null and void; remove them from the reading The Black Hole: nullifies all dice in the zone New Star: reroll all dice Supernova: reroll all die in this zone Parahelion/Aphelion (same face, two outcomes): if it lands in an outer zone, reroll all dice in the opposite zone. if it lands in an inner zone, reroll all dice in the zone closest to this die. Dark Matter: all die in the same zone and the zone itself have the opposite meaning Wormhole: move this die and the die closest to it to the Core. Read them as both in the Core and in the original zone. Orbit: all die shift to the next zone - counter-clockwise if this die is on the right, clockwise if on the left Gravity Well: all dice shift one zone inward Solar Flare: directional face - whatever die this face is pointing to is ejected from the reading (imagine a looping solar flare pointing in a certain direction)