Replies to Justin D. Jacobson (Board Game Necromancer): Project Update: Midnight Mass in the Moonstone Temple
>1y

Fully recognise that the monuments need somewhere to store the skulls and understand its very unlikely they will change overall design at this point but too many of them seem to have a massive dish embedded in them. Why do these monuments from a lore perspective have massive dishes multiple times the size of the people? The standard building skull storage areas make sense as they are courtyards or town squares or battlements so of course they are roomy. Appreciate its the artists design choice in the end, however the Moonstone Temple looks like an an Incan satellite receiver. When I hear 'temple' I do think 'offerings' and 'offering plate', but would it not make sense to put the offering plate at the bottom of the design or as an offering pool? Or what about 4 individual small slots along the sides of the temple pyramid steps, 2 on each side, to add a skull to each one? Indiana Jones style. As these are snazzy, epic buildings it feels like each one should have a more unique way of physically interacting with them and storing the skulls rather than a dish being the go to design feature, while still maintaining that its not a pain to use.

We're still making final tweaks. But we definitely want to put function over form so they're not a pain in the butt to play with. This is something we already did some experimenting with when designing the original buildings.

>1y

So we are going for realism here? :P

>1y

Not realism, no - its a fantasy game...I didn't mention realism. The designers have gone to the explicit effort of adding in staircases and steps into the design aesthetic, so I've observed why do majority of them have a massive dish that the stairs lead to as the design intent is clearly these are scaled down monuments that 'people' visit. Ultimately I just personally don't prefer the dish shape being the go to design feature and providing feedback that I feel the original buildings had a better approach. I especially don't like the design of the Moonstone Temple. Its feedback, the designers can take that as they wish. I've made some suggestions on alternatives with how I feel it could better fit with the theme, original aesthetic and switch up some ideas is all. Being brutally honest, I don't really like any of the monument designs shown so far. The only one I'd keep is the Centotaph. So for me, its highly likely I'll just design and make my own for the rest.

>1y

Thanks for the response Justin

>1y

Instead of a dish, a monument could have three small skull-platforms. I'm thinking steps in the side of a pyramid, for instance. One would need to put the skulls in manually (instead of dropping them from a small height), a small price to pay. Other variations would be three small pedestals at the base, a three-scale balance, a well, etc.