Scion: God (Scion Second Edition Book Four)
Scion: God brings Scion stories to their latest chapter with all-new rules for players and guidance for Storyguides. This builds on the journey begun in Scion: Origin and Scion: Hero and continued through Scion: Demigod. Gods face the impossible balance between a desire to interfere with The World and their duty to protect the Overworlds. It presents all the rules and lore Storyguides and players need to craft the thrilling climaxes of their Scion chronicles.
Gods are multitudinous and vast. They have the power to enact their will upon The World and see their desires manifest. They are also problem-filled and flawed, the human experience magnified a thousandfold. So, too, are they flawless paragons who have shepherded humanity for thousands of years and cared for us, despite our foolish notions. They are all these things and more.
Scion: God presents all the rules and lore Storyguides and players need to craft the thrilling finales of their Scion chronicles.
- Brand new Pantheons including Balahala, Ilhm, K’uh, Pālas, and Zemí.
- New rules for God-level play at the incarnation and overworld levels.
- Terrifying antagonists to threaten and challenge Godly players’ characters.
- Guidance for play at levels beyond mortal conception.
Scion Second Edition - The Journey
You are the child of a God, born to the magic of yesterday and the promise of tomorrow. You live in a World of myth, where every ancient story is true. Your ancient enemies, the Titans, stir in their prison beneath the lands of myth, and the specter of war falls across the heavens. In this age of turmoil, you seize your birthrights and feel the call of your blood.
Pledging To This Campaign
The primary purpose behind this crowdfunding campaign is to enable Onyx Path to create a hardcover edition of the Scion: God book compatible with the Scion Second Edition core rulebooks (Origin, Hero, and Demigod). Your support will allow Onyx Path to produce a fully-developed PDF and hardcover edition for this setting. With your help we hope to not only deliver a beautiful book to all of our backers, but also fund at least one print run to be sold through distribution and into book and hobby stores that are so vital to our community.
All participants who would like to make this project happen can pledge their support and add to the overall campaign total. If the campaign meets the funding target ($30,000), then we will have funded the project and it will become a reality. Your pledge will only be collected if we achieve our funding target.
DECIDING ON YOUR PLEDGE TIER
- Aspirant: This is the PDF-only reward tier. So, if you're saving trees or saving shelf space - or avoiding the shipping charges that are absolutely ever-increasing - this is the reward tier options that you should begin with. The PDF will be fulfilled by our partners at DriveThruRPG.com - when it is ready, you will receive a link to add it to your DTRPG library at no cost and be able to download at your leisure.
- Relic: This reward tier includes the hardcover version of this book. Shipping costs ARE NOT included in the cost of your pledge. You will be charged for shipping after the campaign through the pledge manager. In addition, this option also includes the PDF version, so you will get a digital copy as described above.
In addition to these primary reward pledge paths, we also offer the following options:
- Petitioner: Not ready to commit, or just looking to offer general support? This pledge tier is for you. This does not include our primary reward, but allows you to select some digital optional Add Ons, as well as participating in the post-campaign Pledge Manager as a backer. You'll also be able to read the draft manuscript of Scion: God that we post throughout this campaign.
- Name an NPC, Art Model: A few Reward Tiers offer special limited premium rewards in addition to the basics, including an option to act as a Art Model or a chance to supply a name to be used by an NPC included in a supplement. Check each of the Pledge Tier descriptions for more details.
- Seeker: A digital entry into Scion, this pledge path contains PDF versions of Scion: Origin, Scion: Hero, and Scion: Demigod, as well as our primary reward for this project, Scion: God.
- Legendary Relic Set: This pledge path will get you both the PDF and hardcover books for all four of the Scion Second Edition core books (Scion: Origin, Scion: Hero, Scion: Demigod, and our primary reward for this project, Scion: God.)
Finally, we love retailers, but modern publishing methods don’t always make it easy for them to get books into their stores. With this Scion: God campaign, we have created two special Reward Tiers just for you.
- Retailer Tier: Any retailer who pledges at the Retail Reward Tier will get 5 copies the Scion: God hardcover book (as well as the PDF versions) at a retail-specific discount so that they can sell in-store.
- Retailer Relic Tier: Any retailer who pledges at the Retail Relic Tier will get 5 copies each of the Scion Second Edition Core Rulebooks (Origin, Hero, Demigod, God) hardcover books (as well as the PDF versions) at a retail-specific discount so that they can sell in-store.
- To pledge to either of these tiers, you must have prior approval to back at this level, otherwise your pledge will be adjusted in our post-campaign Pledge Manager. Please contact email@example.com to confirm your eligibility.
ACCESS TO DRAFT MANUSCRIPT UPDATES – During the course of the campaign, we will be sharing the ENTIRE manuscript for Scion: God. Backers will be able to review the manuscript and share feedback with the developers during the course of the campaign.
SCION: GOD HARDCOVER BOOK - The main goal of this campaign is to fund the creation, production, and print run of a hardcover edition of this book. Note that all Reward Tiers that include the physical hardcover version also include the digital PDF version as a bonus. Shipping costs ARE NOT included in the cost of your pledge. You will be charged for shipping after the campaign through the pledge manager.
In addition to the rewards listed in each Pledge Tier, backers will have access to additional "Add On" reward options available in the post-campaign Pledge Manager. Backers have the option of adding additional funds during their pledge and then allocating these funds to cover Add On options in the BackerKit survey. Digital Rewards can be added to any pledge, while physical rewards can only be added to rewards lists that include a version of Scion: God hardcover book, and will therefore have a shippable order when information is downloaded in the fulfillment system.
ADD ON OPTIONS
As we increase the overall funding and support for the project, we’re able to add additional resources to the project, expand the rewards listed, and add in new offers and opportunities. Each Stretch Goal will have a target that, once reached, will add a project to the reward list for backers of the relevant Stretch Goal path. Whenever we achieve a stretch goal, the image will be updated to reflect the achievement.
ACHIEVED! - At $50,000 in Funding - New Add On: Scion: God Storyguide Reference Screen! – We’ll create a Scion: God Reference Screen with new charts and tables, and updated artwork to reflect the ongoing journey of the characters introduced on the Origin/Hero screen. This can be added to any reward tier containing a hardcover book for only +$25 (plus additional international shipping charges based on your location).
ACHIEVED! - At $60,000 in Funding – Scion: God Companion Supplement – Scion: God is a complex game, covering running religions, killing Gods, managing Realms, and possibly even running games where players play multiple Incarnation of the same God. This has huge potential for confusion. Onyx Path will create a Companion supplement for Scion: God that will explain some concepts in more detail, as well as provide evocative and fun examples. All backers receiving the Scion: God PDF as one of their rewards will automatically receive the Scion: God Companion PDF as a bonus reward.
ACHIEVED! - At $80,000 in Funding - Scion: God Jumpstart - An introductory scenario to launch your Scion: God story, complete with Ready-made Characters and basic rules will be created and released as a supplemental PDF. All backers receiving the Scion: God PDF will automatically have this added as a bonus reward.
ACHIEVED! - At $90,000 in Funding – Divine Inspiration Supplement – Scion: God contains so many options for play and story paths to explore it can be a challenge to narrow your focus. Onyx Path will create a supplement to provide some direction and ideas for Storyguides to build upon, including creative Plot Seeds to explore in your game. All backers receiving the Scion: God PDF as one of their rewards will automatically receive the Divine Inspiration PDF as a bonus reward.
ACHIEVED! - At $95,000 in Funding - Backer T-Shirt – A Scion: God-themed Backer shirt will be hosted on Onyx Path’s Redbubble store for a limited time. Only backers will be notified when the shirt becomes available for purchase.
ACHIEVED! - At $105,000 in Funding - Digital Wallpaper – Dress up your monitor with an epic scene from Scion: God, automatically added to the rewards list for all backers.
ACHIEVED - At $110,000 in Funding – Divine Inspiration Supplement II – Plot Seed Packs, sets of thematically-connected plot seeds that can be threaded together for a larger story will be added to the Divine Inspiration supplement.
ACHIEVED - At $115,000 in Funding - Mobile Wallpaper - Dress up your lockscreen with this Scion: God-inspired mobile wallpaper, automatically added as a reward for all backers.
ACHIEVED - At $120,000 in Funding – Scion: God Companion Supplement IV – Titans, Dragons, and Mythos Scions, oh my! The Scion: God Companion supplement will examine Titanic Apotheosis, Full Dragons, and upgrading Mythos Scions. Additional exploration of how Dragons can steal mantles, and understanding Dragon Lairs as Realms may be included.
International shipping has become increasingly expensive and is often prohibitive to non-US backers. Several contemporary publishers have decided to discontinue international shipping completely. For this project, Onyx Path wants to keep all options open to our customers, though shipping costs will reflect the expense.
- CANADA: $40.00 USD +$15.00 USD per additional book
- UNITED KINGDOM: $50.00 USD +$20.00 USD per additional book
- EUROPEAN UNION: $55.00 USD +$20.00 USD per additional book
- AUSTRALIA/NEW ZEALAND: $70.00 USD +$25.00 USD per additional book
- BRAZIL: $70.00 USD +$25.00 USD per additional book
- THE REST OF THE WORLD: $50.00 USD +$20.00 USD per additional book
- Pledge to the campaign at the $25 Aspirant reward tier to get the PDF version plus a redemption code to purchase the print-on-demand version of the book at a discounted cost (plus shipping) from DriveThruRPG.com once it's available (see Reward Descriptions, above, for more details).
- Pledge to the campaign at the $5 Petitioner reward tier to get access to the preview manuscript. Later, you can buy the PDF and/or Print-on-Demand when eventually released.
- Contact your local game store and make sure you're put on a preorder list so they know there's demand for the game that they're being asked to fill, and then encourage them to back at the Retailer Tier for this campaign!
- Look into a freight forwarding service that can give you a US-based shipping address, get packages delivered to it, and then forwarded to you.
Post-Campaign Pledge Manager
After the campaign is over we'll launch our BackerKit Pledge Manager and invite the backers to set up their rewards via survey. This allows you to confirm your pledge and add on anything that you might have missed, as well as possibly increasing your pledged reward tier, should you choose to expand your reward selection. This option will give international backers additional time to investigate shipping options, should they choose, knowing they can confirm a physical reward at a later date. We will also use BackerKit's Pledge Manager to charge actual shipping costs for international orders when we're approaching order fulfillment. Funding collected by BackerKit after the crowdfunding campaign does not count toward any campaign Stretch Goals, however.
Crowdfunding with Onyx Path
Onyx Path Publishing has managed more than 50 crowdfunded projects, and that experience allows us to maintain manageable projects and achievable goals. To read more about the knowledge that has been applied to this project, you can read the FAQ linked here: http://theonyxpath.com/about/faq/kickstarter/
Risks and challenges
Solution: We have successfully shipped many crowdfunded projects and more are headed to completion as you read this. All those projects have taught us how the various pieces of the process works, and we have increased our ability to judge the various stages of delivery better with each campaign. The text for Scion: God is finished and some initial interior artwork has been contracted, so the development process is well underway.
Risk: Shipping costs soak up pledges that were meant to enable the creation of the book.
Solution: We'll be charging for international shipping when we approach fulfillment rather than as part of this campaign. This will allow us to account for actual shipping costs, rather than using estimates that may be two years old at that point.
Risk: The game will take a long time to produce and anger the backers.
Solution: We've learned many lessons with our previous campaigns and we've become much better at estimating the various pitfalls that will delay a project. We were able to deliver the PDFs for our last several projects several months before the estimate, and our recent campaigns have delivered rewards earlier than estimated.
That being said, backers need to be aware that they are enabling a process, and not a pre-order opportunity, and things do sometimes run slower than we want or anticipate with that process. We've found that an open flow of communication between us and the backer community is vital so once the project funds we will deliver Updates on progress once a month (or more, as needed) via Backerkit as well as in our regular, weekly, Monday Meeting Notes blog at www.theonyxpath.com
ADDITIONAL TERMS & CONDITIONS
By backing this project, you have agreed to the following additional terms and conditions:
ARTWORK, DESIGN, MATERIAL & CONTENTS SUBJECT TO CHANGE. Onyx Path shares artwork, design, descriptions and manuscript contents with the understanding that changes may occur in the creation of the final product based on further development, available resources and materials, and the nature of the creative process.
REWARDS REQUIRING ADDITIONAL INFORMATION REQUIRE TIMELY RESPONSE. Some rewards, particularly limited Special Rewards such as art model descriptions, character names, and custom design work, require input from the reward backer. For these rewards, the backer must respond within 6 weeks of the information being requested (most likely by BackerKit pledge manager survey, occasionally by direct e-mail) in order to maintain the project development and manufacturing timeline. Onyx Path will make a strong effort to acquire this information, but should the backer not provide it in a timely fashion, all parties agree that Onyx Path can move forward on the project without the information or using an appropriate substitution and the respective backer will consider the reward obligation fulfilled in full for payment or donations pledged and collected on the part of Onyx Path. The simple fact is that we cannot delay the production of the product due to a unresponsive backer, that's just not fair to the others who have supported this project.
ADDRESS CONFIRMATION & DELIVERY OBLIGATIONS. If you confirm your pledge prior to final address confirmation and initiation of distribution notification via email, you agree that our responsibility to you is to ship your order as entered into our pledge manager system, that title and risk passes to you upon delivery to a common carrier for such shipment, and you are responsible for import duties or any other duties that may be payable to the relevant tax authorities, providing correct address information and ensuring this address is deliverable by normal methods. Failure to confirm mailing address prior to final request and distribution notification will be taken as agreement that all obligations have been met and no further action or effort is required on the part of Onyx Path. We will attempt to alert you via the methods provided by BackerKit, primarily e-mail, prior to distribution of rewards to avoid any issue, but once we’ve made all reasonable efforts, we must move on with other business and will be unable to make exceptions.
DIGITAL REWARDS. You will be notified by BackerKit when digital rewards become available to you. Typically, these will be links to load PDF titles into your account library on DriveThruRPG.com. The links from BackerKit must be activated within 90 days to ensure the titles are added to your library, after which the links may expire and Onyx Path may not be able to provide replacements.
If you do not accept these terms, please do not pledge on this project but instead wait for the general release.