Discussion surrounding books always inevitably leads to conversations about adaptations. Whether it be books to movies, shows, or games, or if it’s those mediums getting novelizations or shared universe books, adaptations have always been apart of discussions since the very first adaptation: the film Cinderella in 1899 by Georges Méliès (I hope those accents copy to Backerkit successfully). Daily Discussion Day 8 What is your favorite book related adaptation? I suspect a lot of answers will be Peter Jackson’s Lord of the Rings trilogy, the Warhammer novels, or Star Wars novels. I am very tempted to list Lord of the Rings myself, however I think I’ll instead say the Princess Bride (1987) movie. The original novel by William Goldman is wonderful, and Goldman maintained the humor for his script. It’s almost a 1:1 retelling, with some modifications to the framing story and some cut scenes, but man is it a beautiful movie and very faithful adaptation. Probably helps that Goldman wrote both, but even so it’s impressive that it worked so well in both mediums. Honorable mention to Stardust, which falls in a similar boat as Princess Bride. The movie captures the feel of the Neil Gaiman novel really well, and though it has more differences than Goldman’s works, the movie is a blast to watch and I love it. Plus, Gaiman says he likes the movie more, and to be honest I do too!

Twitter

Facebook

Copy Link

Comments 51