Sorry, not sure if this is the place to direct feedback/queries regarding the quickstart rules. Liking what I'm seeing so far but I did have a query about Lackeys, Enemies and Groups and I'd be curious to know if it'll be cleared up in the final release. I don't want to bog down the obvious fun this system is trying to invoke; a lot of it rests on being flexible at the table, focusing on what is best for the story and not getting buried under numbers. But here I go anyway with some clunky questions about the mechanics and a few clarifications I'd appreciate: 1. Is group harm exclusive to the player's lackeys or can it be used by groups of enemies too? If the players are being pursued by a band of bounty hunters or horde of zombies it makes sense for them to take more harm than they otherwise would facing a single opponent. But I could also understand to avoid a group of enemies being unneccessarily lethal for players they instead only take harm equivalent to a single individual who makes up that group (e.g: a band of bounty hunters just deal 1 bounty hunter's usual amount of harm (2-harm) as they 1v1 the player within a larger scuffle). 2. Furthermore, do groups have anything like a "group harm tally" to indicate when they themselves would be defeated? Basically, is there a difference in the harm tally if the players take on a single bounty hunter vs. taking on a band of bounty hunters depending on group size? Or is dealing 3 harm enough to overcome both threats regardless of if the bounty hunter is alone or working with others since harm is more an indication of the amount of violence necessary to deter the threat rather than being a direct indication of health? 3. Do the player's lackeys attacking a powerful villain run the risk of being decreased in size or taken out by the harm they might receive in retaliation? Or are they effectively an invincible mob that requires the Fates to use their response following the "Get into a Scrap" move roll to have the villain find an inventive ways to brush aside or disperse the lackeys so the main confrontation can remain between them and the players? 4. The example on page 31 for "group harm" indicates an individual is effectively size-0, taking 2-harm from a size-1 group with 1-harm weapons but also provides example of two different size groups attacking each other and dealing the harm based on the difference. But where does this harm go? If players are just sending their lackeys to fight without them (as decoys, a delaying tactic, etc.) I'd assume whichever side loses the roll (based on group size, weapon quality, and tags) can just be considered defeated without harm needing to be considered as no player characters are present. But if all the players are all fighting alongside their lackeys and take harm, does every player character take the same amount of harm, is it divided up and spread out between them, or is it all shouldered by whoever made the roll?

user avatar image for Magpie Games

Twitter

Facebook

Copy Link

Comments 2